The purpose of this post is to aggregate several templates for comments useful for the daily moderating of the CS site, e.g., informing the user (usually, new user) when their question is off-topic / un-clear / etc, suggesting wht they should do next.
One should be able to copy-paste a comment from answers below according to the specific situation.
Here is a list of the templates we have:
Offtopic / Unsuited
- Programming questions
- Mathematics questions
- Broad reference requests
- List questions
- Simple answer to famous problem
- Project topics, course selection, etc.
- Question covered by a reference question
- Duplicates by new users / use the search
- Duplicate/Crosspost on other site
- Author should use LaTeX
- Bad formatting
- Bad title
- References missing or incomplete
- Question is mainly an image
- Source Code
For those of you who use the AutoReviewComments userscript for convenience, I maintain a file with the comments below. Use the URL
which you can import as seen here:
If this does not work for you (doesn't for me anymore), import the equivalent Markdown (pretty view) manually by copy-pasting it into the import/export box.
- I left out "welcome" parts intentionally. The script adds a welcome message by default if the user is new.
- The URL continues to work when I (or anybody?) updates the file, but you will have to "get now" after an update (which will coincide with updates to this thread) or check "auto-get".
- If you use a script blocker, you need to allow
gist.githubusercontentfor "get now" to work.