In this algorithms question, I asked how to solve an algorithms question from a book, which I later realised I completely misread. The question I asked still led to some interesting discussion, but I don't think that it is possible to solve. As per the question in the book, you are in fact meant to return a new array, and not modify the original one.

One of the commenters called Vince, gave an answer which with slight modification, would have been correct had I specified the question correctly. I incorporated this answer into my question as an example of an insufficient solution alongside my own one, which had difference complexity characteristics. The comments which I took Vince's answer from seem to have disappeared.

In light of my error, I am now wondering how to proceed. Should I rename the question and correct it, posting Vince's now correct solution, or should the question just be deleted?


There is no soon to be invalidated answer, so you can do as you wish, but with interesting problem it would be a waste to delete it.

There are ways that seem plausible:

  • modify question and notify Vince
  • modify question and answer yourself
  • if modification greatly affects question, you could ask separate one
  • $\begingroup$ I would like to modify it to the correct question and post Vince's answer. Vince has removed his comments, so should I mention that the answer was written by an anonymous user? $\endgroup$
    – justinpc
    Feb 11 '19 at 21:22
  • $\begingroup$ @jpcooper He is not anonymous, mayhap mention by name or just drop it, answer on its own is for future users. $\endgroup$
    – Evil
    Feb 11 '19 at 21:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .